-
January 11th, 2003, 04:46 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I'm wondering about installing a sub panel that that will be off a 60amp branch from a Square D main panel.
1- does the sub panel need a main breaker disconnect,I was told it wasn't nessary,...but?
2- If a main breaker is needed in the sub, it's hard to find a 60 amp panel, so if I use a Siemens 100A with a main-in, can I change this 100a. main to a 60amp. and will a regular 60amp double poll be OK (it fits) I was under the impression it has to be a special breaker for a main disconnect,
then again I have been told it's OK,...but is it?
3- For the 60amp. supply breaker from the main (SQ D) I would have though that 2 single pole 60amp tied together or the like would be required but a SqD supplier told me that a regular (QO260) 60amp. double pole would be OK...is it?
-
January 13th, 2003, 04:32 AM
#2
HB Forum Owner
Joe C,
1. The sub-panel will only require a main breaker if it is located in a separate building. It would then be a sub-service, not a sub-panel.
2. If this is a sub-service, the 100 amp main breaker will be OK, even though it is supplied by a 60 amp feeder. There is no need to change it. All it protects is the panelboard. The feeder wires are protected by the 60 amp breaker back at the main service panel.
In fact, changing it could void the listing approval.
3. The regular 60 amp double-pole breaker is the correct one to use.
Ed
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 12, 2003 12:34 PM: Message edited by: electric-ed ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks